Below you will find ELIC’s GIVING FAQs. We hope these will answer many of your financial questions. If you need further donor information or would like to speak with someone, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call our finance team at 800.366.3542. Choose option #2 and this will get you to a live person in our finance department M-Th, 8am – 5pm.
1. Why does ELIC need donations?
ELIC operates completely from the generous donations of individuals, corporations, grant foundations and memorial funds. By giving, you are choosing to support directly the work of teaching English on university campuses across Asia, impacting thousands of students each year. Join others who have made the decision to partner with ELIC and our volunteers all over Asia today!
2. What is the most cost effective way to give to ELIC?
ELIC and other organizations must pay processing fees in order to deposit support funds. Processing fees associated with cashing a physical, paper check can be less than half the cost of processing other types of donations. Paper checks avoid excess cost and allow more funds to directly impact our ministry. Most banks provide a Bill Pay function that meet the same processing category as a personal check. Electronic Funds Transfers (EFTs) are also a cost-effective way to donate, but we want you to give in the manner that is most comfortable and convenient for you. In addition, ELIC accepts all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover).
If you plan on giving regularly or making a monthly donation, setting up a recurring gift allows us to send out one receipt per year on your behalf, saving postage and other processing costs throughout the year. Call 1-800-366-3542 or contact email@example.com to arrange recurring monthly donations or get answers to any of your giving-related questions.
3. What are the benefits of having a personal donor account?
What are the benefits of having a personal donor account?
- You can manage your account information. Just log in to update your address, phone number, and other personal information. ELIC DOES NOT sell your information to anyone.
- You can track your giving history and see your giving history at the click of a button! This feature lets you sort specifically by dates and see the teacher/causes you are supporting. You can also track the balance of pledges.
- Personalized donation forms allow you the ease of donating to your favorite teacher by using the pre-filled form linked to your donor account page.
- Multiple donations on a single form allows you to give to multiple teachers/causes, the teacher/causes are pre-filled for your convenience in the donation form.
You can set up your personal donor account here.
4. Is my gift tax-deductible?
Yes. Any charitable contribution to ELIC is tax-deductible. ELIC sends gift receipts with year-to-date giving totals 5-10 business days after your gift is submitted online or received by mail. ELIC is recognized to be exempt from Federal Income Tax since 1981 as described in Internal Revenue Code Section 501 (c) (3).
5. What options are offered for donor gifts?
- Gifts of non-cash items/in-kind items
- Gifts to a particular ELIC teaching program
- Planned gifts (pension, wills, stocks, annuities, real estate, etc.)
6. How does ELIC distribute my teacher donation?
When you choose to support an ELIC teacher, all of your donation goes towards offsetting ELIC’s costs during the teacher’s term of service.Your gift helps to provide a portion of the financial support necessary to underwrite the teacher as summarized in the list below, in the greater effort of fulfilling the vision and mission of ELIC.
- Helps send an individual teacher to a campus in Asia.
- Provides for their living expenses.
- Funds classroom activities.
- Enables teachers to host English events outside of the classroom.
- Pays for ELIC-specific English curriculum and cultural relations tools used by ELIC teachers.
- Offsets the minimal visa, contracting, and teacher support costs provided by ELIC to each of our teachers.
- Provides for the global effort of ELIC’s teaching programs.
7. How does ELIC utilize my donation if it is an organizational gift?
By giving to areas of ELIC’s greatest organizational need, we will steward your gift in one of the following ways:
- Fund ELIC teaching programs
- Begin new programs
- Compensate the costs of finding, training and sending teachers to Asia
- Sponsor strategic special projects
8. In what ways is ELIC held financially accountable?
Since 1989, ELIC has been a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA). This is part of our commitment to those who teach with ELIC as well as to those who provide financial support to ELIC and our teachers. You may view the previous 3 years audited financials by visiting the ECFA web site and can request a copy of the complete audited financial statements and Form 990 by contacting our finance department.
9. How do I track my donations on my giving receipt?
Your latest giving statement will reflect the amount of your last gift to ELIC and the total of your past giving amounts year-to-date (YTD), according to the calendar year.
10. How do I change my giving amount?
Please contact a representative of our finance department to change your giving options or increase your gift. You may call 800.366.3542 and choose option #2 to reach someone by phone or you may also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. I’d like to give, but I’m getting a security certificate error when I try opening one of your forms. What should I do?
Our website wants to direct you to a secure form so your information is kept safe, and some browsers (specifically we’ve found it in Safari for Mac) aren’t willing to recognize our forms as what they are: secure. We assure you that it’s safe, and the problem is a bug in communication with the browser rather than a bug in our security. If you’re still not sure, try opening the form in another web browser (we suggest Firefox for Mac and Internet Explorer for PC), or feel free to email email@example.com.
International Headquarters and USA Office:
English Language Institute/China
1629 Blue Spruce Drive
Fort Collins, CO 80524 USA
PO Box 1283
Coquitlam, BC V3J 6Z9
Hong Kong Office:
English Language Institute in China
2/F Rear, Ocean View Court
41, Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
Kowloon, HONG KONG