Engage Culture offers the opportunity to study Chinese language and culture while interacting with Chinese language exchange partners. These Chinese trainees are in a program to receive their "Teaching Chinese as a Second Language” certificate, and they need English-speaking students with minimal Chinese language experience with whom to practice teaching Chinese.
While you will learn a lot about the culture and the language, the true emphasis of the program is on relationships. Beyond serving these trainees by helping them complete their certificates, you will get to experience life in one of China’s most ancient capitals (Xi’an) where the first emperor to unite China is buried among his thousands of terra cotta soldiers.
You will be challenged and sharpened as you enjoy exploring the area, sharpening your language skills, and interacting (or “doing life”) with your teammates and Chinese locals!
Costs are confirmed for all participants in the fall. Orientation takes place during the first week of the program. Typical return date is early to mid-August.
- Some college required.
- Must be currently enrolled in undergraduate program.
- All majors acceptable.
- Native-like English fluency.
- Minimal Mandarin Chinese language experience.
- Enthusiasm to share your hope and life.
- International travel
- Food and housing
- Sightseeing opportunities
- Medical and evacuation coverage
- Orientation, training, and debriefing
- Visa and document processing
- Support development materials
- Donor receipting
- Teaching curriculum
- Screening and team placement
- Contracts with individual host schools
- And much, much more!