You and your team will be working with local teachers from the Kurdish region in Iraq. These teachers have been asked to use English as a language of instruction for math and science. Your team’s task will be to come along side these teachers and help them develop their own English ability, as well as equip them to use English to teach in their classrooms. You will use ELIC’s curriculum as well as the standard Kurdish curriculum to develop lessons that meet your student’s needs.
English-language instruction is a growing priority in the Kurdish educational system, and these teachers are eager to develop their English skills and gain new tools for use in the classroom. Weekends and free time will consist of fellowship with your team, resting, lesson planning, possibly getting to know the locals, and outings with your team.
The dates for this program are: Early July–Early August, 2018.
The cost for this program is $4,800*.
*Does not include international airfare.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree required.
- All majors acceptable.
- Some teaching experience and/or training preferred.
- Native-like English fluency.
- Enthusiasm to share your hope and life.
- Food and housing
- Sightseeing opportunities
- Medical and evacuation coverage
- Orientation, training, and debriefing
- Visa and document processing
- Support development materials
- Donor receipting
- Teaching curriculum
- Screening and team placement
- Contracts with individual host schools
- And more!