You and your team will travel to the Kurdistan region of Iraq where you will run an English language-learning program for Yazidi children, from 5 to 15 years old. Yazidis are an ethnically and religiously distinct minority that has faced persecution and have been displaced as a result of the conflict in Iraq. The program will consist of English classes with crafts, activities, games, and recess.
You will be teaching English classes for several hours in the morning as well as interactive activities, games and crafts. Engage is designed for all majors, so even if you have no experience in the classroom, we will prepare you! Evenings and weekends will be spent lesson planning, resting, meeting with your team, shopping, and going on outings with your team.
Dates: June 23 – July 28 (5 weeks)
- Food and housing
- Sightseeing opportunities
- Medical and evacuation coverage
- Orientation, training, and debriefing
- Visa and document processing
- Support development materials
- Donor receipting
- Teaching curriculum
- Screening and team placement
- Contracts with individual host schools
- And more!
- Some college required.
- Must be currently enrolled in undergraduate program.
- All majors acceptable.
- Proficient in speaking English.
- Enthusiasm to share your hope and life.